Software Developer and Data Manager
The Remote Sensing research group of the Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation of TU Wien is currently looking to recruit a motivated
Software Developer and Data Manager (m/f)
You enjoy working in a scientific environment at the leading edge of research in remote sensing and modelling of geophysical variables? You are looking forward to collaborating with colleagues across wide national and international networks? You want to work with researchers towards excellent solutions to the technical problems that scientific work poses? If the answers to these questions is yes, then this job is for you.
Our group comprises about 30 staff members currently working on approximately 20 projects supported by various national, European and international programs, grants and funding sources.
To support the research work of our team, we are looking for a skilled software developer with a background or interest in geospatial sciences.
Skills and Requirements
- In depth knowledge of Python
- Experience working with Python libraries like numpy, scipy and pandas.
- Strong foundation in both object oriented and functional programming
- Proven track record of writing modular, tested software
- Experience in using Continuous Integration and Version Control (Git)
- Basic knowledge of common database technologies (MySQL, PostgreSQL, PostGIS)
- Basic knowledge of the Python web development stack (Flask, Django) + JS
- Experience working with big volumes (100 TB+) of data is a plus.
- You love working in Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS) but can get by in Windows
- Eagerness to learn new technologies
- An academic background in geodesy, geoinformation sciences, geomathematics, physical geography, mathematics, information sciences, or similar is not required but would be an additional asset
- Strong analytical and technical skills and problem solving capability
- Good written and spoken communication skills in English
- The opportunity to work in an innovative, motivated and successful team
- Ability to choose your own tools and influence department IT policies
- Possibility to enroll in the PhD program of TU Wien
- Flexible working hours
- Workplace close to city center, metro and main train station
- A stimulating and friendly working environment at the department
- The salary for this full time (40 hours/week) position is based on the Austrian regulations for university staff. The monthly minimum salary is between € 2.160,00 and € 2.696,50, depending on your relevant education background. Individual overpayment is possible based on experience. The monthly salary is paid 14 times per year. The position is limited to 2 years.
If this job opportunity fits your career development plans we are looking forward to receiving your application (cover letter, CV, relevant references and publications) in English and as one single PDF file via e-mail to rs-sek (at) geo.tuwien.ac.at
Candidate selection will start on 1 September 2016 and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. TU Wien will not refund any cost occurring in the course of an application.
A PDF version of this job offer can be downloaded below.
Update October 2016: The position is filled!
- TU_GEO_Software_Developer.pdf210 K
Category: Remote Sensing, Open Positions